A study conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) noted that sleep deprivation can reduce a person’s reaction time by up to fifty%. And while numerous factors contribute to the health of your zzz, your mattress has a tremendous effect on the quality of your sleep.
Founded in 2010, Amerisleep’s mission is to provide customers with quality memory foam mattresses along with sleeping accessories made from eco-friendly materials. The company is based in Arizona and does most of its sales online, though it also has several retail stores throughout the state.
American Mattress Design: What Are Amerisleep Mattresses Made Of?
Amerisleep is a bed-in-a-box company that offers five memory foam mattress options, each of which accommodates a different sleeping position.
- AS1: The AS1 is the firmest of the five options and a great choice for people who prefer a firm, pressure-relieving surface. It is ideal for back and stomach sleepers.
- AS2: The AS2 is arguably the most popular of the five mattress options, and for good reason: It features a medium firmness level, which is a great option for most sleepers. Most back sleepers love it as it is designed to ensure the spine is properly aligned throughout the night.
- AS3: The AS3 is ideal for body contouring and support. It’s designed to have a soft feel that doesn’t compromise pressure relief, making it ideal for back and side sleepers.
- AS4: The AS4 is Amerisleep’s most advanced memory foam mattress. It uses the company’s Bio-Pur+ foam and Surface Modification Technology (SMT), which offers ideal body contouring and support for side sleepers.
- AS5: The AS5 is Amerisleep’s most luxurious mattress. It is the only mattress among the rest that contains Activus, viscoelastic with a fast response time. Activus instantly shapes your body and does it without feeling like you’re sinking.
- Hybrid mattresses: Amerisleep also makes hybrid mattresses by combining foam technology with a coil spring for firmer support in targeted areas.
Each of Amerisleep’s mattresses contains Bio-Core foam, Bio-Pur memory foam, and a Celliant cover. Bio-Core foam is the base and is seven or eight inches thick, depending on the model. This layer is made in part from plants instead of petroleum, making it eco-friendly. On hybrid models, the Bio-Core foam is replaced with pocketed coils.
Bio-Pur memory foam is the top layer of the company’s mattresses. It is two to four inches thick, depending on the model. Unlike conventional memory foam, Bio-Pur memory foam is designed to be more breathable and responsive. Celliant Cover has thermo-reactive minerals that are clinically proven to increase blood flow by converting body heat into infrared light. The cover is removable and washable, a feature exclusive to bed-in-a-box mattress models.
How much do Amerisleep mattresses cost?
As different in construction and firmness, Amerisleep mattresses they have different prices. The cheapest model is the AS1 which starts at $849 for Twin, while the most expensive is the AS5 which starts at $1,799 for Twin.
Here is pricing information for the Amerisleep Original mattress:
|Amerisleep Mattress Size||Price (MSRP)|
*Pricing information as of 04/28/2020
Amerisleep offers three different models of hybrid mattresses
Beyond the original five models explored above, Amerisleep also offers hybrid models for AS2, AS3 and AS5.
- AS2h: This mattress features a coil spring base for additional support. Like the AS2, the hybrid model has Bio-Pur foam underneath, which is an Affinity transition layer. The purpose of the Affinity Transition Layer is to provide support to the areas that need it most. For back sleepers, that would be the lower back, while for stomach sleepers, support would be in the chest, knees, and stomach.
- AS3h: This mattress is Amerisleep’s best selling hybrid mattress. Unlike the AS2h, it doesn’t have the Affinity layer, which makes it rank higher on the firmness scale. The base of the coil is zoned, reducing the development of pressure points.
- AS5h: This mattress features an Active Flex layer that gives the bed extra bounce. While it’s luxurious, it doesn’t make the sleeper feel like they’re stuck in bed.
How comfortable is the Amerisleep mattress?
Amerisleep has earned a reputation for producing high quality mattresses. The mattresses are plant-based and have layers of open-cell foam that are meant to keep the sleeper cool. The patented Bio-Pur comfort layer contours to your body and relieves pressure points. The zonal system supports the back and cushions the hips and area above the shoulders. This feature aligns your body for a comfortable, pain-free night’s sleep.
The AS1 Amerisleep mattress is the firmest and is 10” thick while the AS5 is 14” and the softest. The top layer is the breathable Celliant shell, which ensures good air circulation and prevents you from sweating. It is also said to facilitate muscle recovery.
Other products sold by Amerisleep
In addition to mattresses, Amerisleep also manufactures:
- Pillows: These are CertiPIUR-US® certified and feature the sensitive Bio-Pur material and a breathable cover.
- Litter: Amerisleep bedding promises to keep you dry throughout the night. The bedding consists of cotton or tencel sheets, mattress protectors, mattress covers and duvets.
- bed bases: Amerisleep offers flat and adjustable bed bases.
Although Amerisleep is not accredited by the BBB, the company does have a A+ ranking within the organization. The company’s AS3 mattress enjoys a 4.8 star rating out of a possible five on Amazon. Most Amerisleep reviews focus on the convenience of choosing different levels of firmness, the comfort the mattresses offer, and Amerisleep’s excellent customer service.
amerisleep pros and cons
The bottom line
Amerisleep’s strong reputation, coupled with its great reviews, is a testament to the quality of the products they make. The mattresses have exceptional motion isolation, minimizing sleep disturbances. Deciding which model you should go for comes down to your personal preference. The extent to which the mattress sinks depends on the model you choose, however they are all breathable and responsive which prevents sagging.
Where can I buy an Amerisleep mattress?
You can buy Amerisleep mattresses through their website. You can also visit their showrooms in Austin, Denver, Fort Worth, Gilbert, Glendale, Lone Tree, Scottsdale, Portland, and Tucson.
How long does an Amerisleep mattress last?
Amerisleep memory foam mattresses last seven to ten years, while hybrid models last five to seven years. As mentioned, you get a 20-year warranty. The first ten years are not prorated, which means that for the first ten years you benefit from a full replacement guarantee. For the next ten years, you are responsible for 50% of the replacement mattress along with shipping charges.
How thick is an Amerisleep mattress?
Amerisleep mattresses have different thicknesses. The AS1 is ten inches while the AS2, AS3 and AS4 are twelve inches. The AS5 measures fourteen inches.
Do I need to flip or rotate my Amerisleep mattress?
Like other foam mattresses, you do not need to flip or rotate your Amerisleep mattress. Its design adapts to your body while you sleep and recovers easily.
How long does it take for my mattress to arrive once I have placed my order?
Normally, it takes three to five business days to ship the mattress.