- For $ 1,000, you’ll get about 40% more apartment space in Ohio than the 670 square foot average in the 100 most populous cities in the United States.
- Of 84 Ohio cities included in our research, Warren and Beachwood had the largest and smallest apartments, respectively, for $ 1,000.
- Use the calculator at the end of the article to find out how much space you can rent in Ohio, whatever your budget.
Undeniably, space is something we have all come to appreciate over the past year during the pandemic, as it has become increasingly important to everyone, especially apartment dwellers.
So, analysts at RENTCafé looked at how much space you could rent in Ohio for $ 1,000, which is close to the state’s average monthly rent of $ 983. Based on Yardi Matrix data – and a bit of research – we’ve highlighted the cities where apartments offer the most and the least bang for your buck.
Turns out Ohio is a great place to live, as most cities have pretty spacious apartments. On average, you can get 947 square feet of living space for $ 1,000 in the state, far more than the 670 square feet you can rent for the same amount in the 100 most populous cities. That means Ohio apartments offer 41.3% more space for the same price.
We’ve put together the following infographic, which compares apartment sizes across the 84 Ohio cities included in our study. The tile size represents the actual proportion of the space available in the apartment for $ 1,000.
Statewide, the sizes of apartments you can rent on a budget of $ 1,000 range from 630 square feet in Beachwood to more than twice as much space in Warren (1340). Notably, although they are at opposite ends of our rankings, these two Ohio cities are only 44 miles apart from each other in the northeastern part of the state, nearby from the shores of Lake Erie.
Top 5 cities with the most apartment space for $ 1000
Warren, located on the Youngstown subway, is where you can find the most apartment space in the state, at 1,340 square feet, for that set amount. The city has an average rent of $ 668 – one of the lowest in Ohio – which makes this community of nearly 40,000 people an affordable place to live.
Meanwhile, a thousand dollars can also pay for generous amounts of square footage in other towns, like Trotwood (1251) – which is just outside of Dayton – as well as Whitehall (1217), a town of six miles east of the state capital of Columbus. West Carrollton and Springfield were also in the top 5, with 1,167 square feet and 1,156 square feet respectively.
All of these cities boast local average rents of between $ 670 and $ 820 – lower than the state average – making them a great choice for those looking for a large apartment and lower rents.
Top 5 Cities With The Least Apartment Space For $ 1000
Conversely, the least space you can get for the same price in Ohio is usually found in cities with higher rents, but overall apartment quality is better. For example, Beachwood Apartments – where rents average $ 1,860 per month – offer about 630 square feet for $ 1,000.
Next are Oxford and Blue Ash – which, despite being a few hundred miles on the Cincinnati subway – are both among the cities in the state where apartments are less spacious. Specifically, in Oxford you only get 671 square feet and in Blue Ash only 703 square feet for the monthly rent of $ 1,000.
The top 5 is closed by Cleveland and Westlake where the same amount will give you smaller apartments of 713 square feet and 732 square feet, respectively. So, if you decide to choose one of these cities, be aware that you will have to shell out between $ 1130 and $ 1860 for the monthly rent. On the plus side, you’ll enjoy the city life and the lake view, so this is something definitely worth considering.
What you can rent for $ 1,000 in Ohio’s 3 biggest subways
Here’s how much space you can get for $ 1,000 in Ohio’s three largest subways:
In the Cleveland Metro, Apartments in Warrensville Heights tend to be more spacious. Here you can get 1,135 square feet for the monthly rent of $ 1,000. Broadview Heights and Lorain also turn out to be great towns to live in, as the space you could get here would also be substantially large at 1130 square feet and 1111 square feet, respectively.
Meanwhile, the cities that offer the least space in the Cleveland subway are Beachwood (630 square feet), Cleveland (713), and Westlake (732).
In the Columbus MetroThe top cities offering the most space for $ 1,000 are Whitehall (1,217 square feet), Lancaster (1,059 square feet), Newark (1,050) and Reynoldsburg (1,008).
On the flip side, the Lewis Center is where you’ll find the least space on the subway, at 795 square feet. However, its proximity to scenic Alum Creek Lake is more than ideal.
Apartments for rent in Middletown come with 1134 square feet, the largest space you can get for the monthly rent of $ 1000 in Cincinnati Metro. Hamilton, Fairfield, Batavia, and Milford are also generous towns in terms of space, as they all offer over 900 square feet for the same amount.
On the other hand, the least space in this area is in the aforementioned Oxford, where you can only get 671 square feet, much less than in other metro cities.
See how much space you can get on your budget
Want to know how much space you can afford based on your budget in these 84 cities in Ohio? Use the calculator below.
Apartment size for your budgetSq. Ft.
- This report was prepared by RENTCafé, a nationwide apartment search website that makes it easy for renters to find apartments and houses for rent across the United States.
- To compile this report, we analyzed data on average rental prices and apartment sizes provided by Yardi Matrix, RENTCafé’s sister company that researches and reports on large-scale multi-family properties of over 50 units. Yardi Matrix is a business development and asset management tool intended for brokers, sponsors, banks and sources of equity underwriting investments in the multifamily, office, industrial and self-storage sectors.
- The study is based on data on average rent and apartment sizes for 390,000 units at market rate and 2,200 multi-family properties in 84 cities in Ohio with a statistically relevant sample of apartments.
- The average area of apartments per $ 1,000 of rent was calculated by dividing $ 1,000 by the average cost of rent per square foot in each city analyzed.