- For $ 1,200, you’ll get about 25% more apartment space in Texas than the 711 square foot average in the 100 most populous cities in the United States.
- Of the 109 Texas cities included in our research, McAllen and Flower Mound had the largest and smallest apartments, respectively, for $ 1,200.
- Use the calculator at the end of the article to find out how much space you can rent in Texas, whatever your budget.
Undeniably, space is something we all have come to appreciate over the past year during the pandemic, as it has become increasingly important to everyone, especially apartment dwellers.
So RENTCafé analysts looked at how much space you could rent across Texas for $ 1,200, which is close to the state’s average monthly rent of $ 1,176. Based on Yardi Matrix data – and a little research – we’ve highlighted the cities where apartments offer the most and the least bang for your buck.
Turns out, Texas is a great place to live, as most cities have pretty spacious apartments. On average, you can get 895 square feet of living space for $ 1,200 in the state, more than the 711 square feet you can rent for the same amount in the 100 most populous cities. This means apartments in Texas offer 25% more space for the same price.
We’ve put together the following infographic, which compares apartment sizes across the 109 Texas cities included in our study. The tile size represents the actual proportion of the space available in the apartment for $ 1,200.
Statewide, the sizes of apartments you can rent on a budget of $ 1,200 range from 704 square feet in Flower Mound to more than twice as much space in McAllen (1,417). Falling at opposite ends of our ranking, these two Texas cities are also located in opposite parts of the state 530 miles apart, with Flower Mound to the north and McAllen to the south.
Top 5 cities with the most apartment space for $ 1,200
McAllen, located on the McAllen subway, is where you can find the most apartment space in the state, at 1,417 square feet, for that set amount. The city has an average rent of $ 775 – one of the lowest in Texas – which makes this community of nearly 142,000 people affordable and great to live in.
Meanwhile, $ 1,200 can also pay for generous square footage in other cities, like Brownsville (1323) – which is near the border with Mexico – as well as Harlingen (1312), a town of forty miles east of McAllen. Amarillo and Mission were also in the top 5, with 1,301 square feet and 1,239 square feet respectively.
All of these cities boast local average rents of between $ 749 and $ 901 – lower than the state average – making them a great choice for those looking for a large apartment and lower rents.
Top 5 cities with the least apartment space for $ 1,200
Conversely, the least space you can get for the same price in Texas is usually found in cities with higher rents, but overall the quality of apartments is better and they are generally considered like more attractive places. For example, the Flower Mound Apartments – where rents average $ 1,586 per month – offer about 704 square feet for $ 1,200.
Next is Austin and Rockwall, both of the cities in the state where you get less space for that money, but you’ll live in some of the more desirable locations. Specifically, in Austin you only get 742 square feet and in Rockwall Apartments only 767 square feet for the monthly rent of $ 1,200.
The top 5 is closed by the Grapevine and Farmers Branch apartments, where the same amount will get you smaller apartments of 769 square feet and 774 square feet, respectively. So, if you decide to choose one of these cities, be aware that you will have to shell out between $ 1398 and $ 1586 for the monthly rent. On the plus side, you’ll enjoy better locations, so this is something definitely worth considering.
What you can rent for $ 1,200 in the 4 biggest subways in Texas
Here’s how much space you can get for $ 1,200 in Texas’ four largest subways:
In the Dallas Metro, Greenville apartments tend to offer more living space for that money. Here you can get 1,133 square feet for the monthly rent of $ 1,200. Balch Springs and Lancaster also turn out to be great towns to live in, as the space you could get here would also be substantially large at 1132 square feet and 1089 square feet, respectively.
Meanwhile, the cities that offer the least space on the Dallas subway are Flower Mound (704 square feet), Rockwall (767), and Grapevine (769).
Apartments for rent in Dallas – the main city of the metro – are 811 square feet for the rental price of $ 1,200.
In the Houston Metro, the main cities that offer the most space for $ 1,200 are Clute (1,112 square feet), Lake Jackson (1,101 square feet) and Pasadena (1,100).
On the flip side, The Woodlands is where you’ll find the least space on the subway, at 797 square feet. However, living just 30 miles from Houston has some advantages.
Apartments for rent in Houston – the main city of the metro – are 947 square feet for the rental price of $ 1,200.
Converse Apartments are 1,000 square feet in size, the largest space you can get for the monthly rent of $ 1,200 San Antonio Metro. Universal City and San Antonio are also generous cities in terms of space, as they both offer over 960 square feet for the same amount.
On the other hand, the least space in this area is in New Braunfels, where you can only get 860 square feet, considerably less than the rest of the metro.
Round Rock offers the largest space in the Austin Metro, 893 square feet for $ 1,200. Next are the Pflugerville and Kyle apartments, both measuring 851 square feet.
Apartments for rent in Austin – the main metro city – have the least space, at 742 square feet for the same price.
See how much space you can get on your budget
Want to know how much space you can afford based on your budget in these 109 Texas cities? Use the calculator below.
Apartment size for your budgetSq. Ft.
- This report was prepared by RENTCafé, a nationwide apartment search website that makes it easy for renters to find apartments and houses for rent across the United States.
- To compile this report, we analyzed data on average rental prices and apartment sizes provided by Yardi Matrix, RENTCafé’s sister company that researches and reports on large-scale multi-family properties of over 50 units. . Yardi Matrix is a business development and asset management tool intended for brokers, sponsors, banks and sources of equity underwriting investments in the multifamily, office, industrial and self-storage sectors.
- Information on average state rent and apartment sizes is based on data from 1,928,000 units at market rates and 8,300 multi-family properties throughout the state of Texas.
- The average area of apartments per $ 1,200 in rent was calculated by dividing $ 1,200 by the average cost of rent per square foot in 109 cities in Texas with a statistically relevant sample of apartments.