- For $ 1,400, you’ll get about 13% more apartment space in Florida than the 829 square foot average in the 100 most populous cities in the United States.
- Of the 101 Florida cities included in our research, Winter Haven and Coral Gables had the largest and smallest apartments, respectively, for $ 1,400.
- Use the calculator at the end of the article to find out how much space you can rent in Florida, whatever your budget.
Undeniably, space is something we have all come to appreciate over the past year during the pandemic, as it has become increasingly important to everyone, especially apartment dwellers.
So, RENTCafé analysts looked at how much space you could rent in Florida for $ 1,400, which is close to the state’s average monthly rent of $ 1,440. Based on Yardi Matrix data – and a bit of research – we’ve highlighted the cities where apartments offer the most and the least bang for your buck.
Turns out, Florida is a great place to live, as most cities offer fairly spacious apartments. On average, you can get 937 square feet of living space for $ 1,400 in the state, more than the 829 square feet you can rent for the same amount in the 100 most populous cities. This means apartments in Florida offer 13% more space for the same price.
We’ve put together the following infographic, which compares apartment sizes in the 101 Florida cities included in our study. The tile size represents the actual proportion of the space available in the apartment for $ 1,400.
Statewide, the sizes of apartments you can rent on a budget of $ 1,400 range from 513 square feet in Coral Gables to more than twice as much space in Winter Haven (1,277). Falling at opposite ends of our ranking, these two Florida cities are also located in opposite parts of the state 220 miles apart, with Coral Gables to the southeast and Winter Haven to the North.
Top 5 cities with the most apartment space for $ 1,400
Winter Haven, located on the Lakeland subway, is where you can find the most apartment space in the state, at 1,277 square feet, for that fixed amount. The city has an average rent of $ 1,050 – one of the lowest in Florida – making this community of nearly 41,000 people affordable and great to live in.
Meanwhile, $ 1,400 can also pay for generous square footage in other cities, like Orange Park (1270) – which is just outside of Jacksonville – as well as Titusville (1246), a city sixty miles east of Orlando. Panama City and Ocala are also in the top 5, with 1,233 square feet and 1,220 square feet respectively.
All of these cities boast local average rents of between $ 973 and $ 1,167 – lower than the state average – making them a great choice for those looking for a large apartment and lower rents.
Top 5 cities with the least apartment space for $ 1,400
Conversely, the least space you can get for the same price in Florida is usually in cities with higher rents, but overall the quality of apartments is better and they are generally considered to be more attractive places. For example, the apartments in Coral Gables – where rents average $ 2,644 per month – offer about 513 square feet for $ 1,400.
Next is Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale, both on the Miami Metro and among cities in the state where you get less space for that money, but you’ll live in some of the more desirable locations. Specifically, in Miami Beach you only get 592 square feet and in Fort Lauderdale apartments only 663 square feet for the monthly rent of $ 1,400.
The top 5 is closed by Doral and Boca Raton. In Doral, the same amount will give you smaller spaces of 680 square feet, but you will be able to enjoy suburban living while Boca Raton apartments offer 686 square feet and the benefit of admiring views in buildings in the city. seaside. So, if you decide to choose one of these cities, be aware that you will have to shell out between $ 2,009 and $ 2,644 for the monthly rent.
What you can rent for $ 1,400 in the 3 largest metro systems in Florida
Here’s how much space you can get for $ 1,400 in Florida’s three largest subways:
In the Miami Metro, Homestead apartments tend to offer more living space for that money. Here you can get 1,041 square feet for the monthly rent of $ 1,400. Lauderhill and Lauderdale Lakes also turn out to be good cities to live in, as the space you could get here would also be substantially large at 1,028 square feet and 978 square feet, respectively.
Meanwhile, the cities that offer the least space in the Miami metro are Coral Gables (513 square feet), Miami Beach (592), and Fort Lauderdale (663).
Apartments for rent in Miami – the main city of the metro – are 714 square feet for the rental price of $ 1,400.
In the Tampa Metro, the main cities that offer the most space for $ 1,400 are Port Richey (1,205 square feet), Plant City (1,192 square feet) and New Port Richey (1,168).
On the other hand, St. Petersburg is where you’ll find the least space on the metro, at 851 square feet. However, its location between the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay is more than ideal.
Apartments for rent in Tampa – the main metro city – are 916 square feet for the rental price of $ 1,400.
Longwood Apartments are 1,108 square feet, the largest space you can get for the monthly rent of $ 1,400 Orlando Metro. Clermont and Apopka are also generous cities in terms of space, as they both offer over 1,050 square feet for the same amount.
On the other hand, the least space in this area is in Maitland, where you can only get 866 square feet, considerably less than the rest of the metro.
Apartments for rent in Orlando – the main city of the metro – are 950 square feet for the rental price of $ 1,400.
See how much space you can get on your budget
Want to know how much space you can afford based on your budget in these 101 Florida cities? Use the calculator below.
Apartment size for your budgetSq. Ft.
- This report was prepared by RENTCafé, a nationwide apartment search website that makes it easy for renters to find apartments and houses for rent across the United States.
- To compile this report, we analyzed data on average rental prices and apartment sizes provided by Yardi Matrix, RENTCafé’s sister company that researches and reports on large-scale multi-family properties of over 50 units. Yardi Matrix is a business development and asset management tool intended for brokers, sponsors, banks and sources of equity underwriting investments in the multifamily, office, industrial and self-storage sectors.
- Information on average state rent and apartment sizes is based on data for 857,000 units at market rates and 3,800 multi-family properties across the state of Florida.
- The average area of apartments per $ 1,400 of rent was calculated by dividing $ 1,400 by the average cost of rent per square foot in 101 cities in Florida with a statistically relevant sample of apartments.