Mattresses and mattress companies are changing rapidly, and Intellibed is a prime example of such innovation. The Intellibed, which uses a proprietary gel matrix, exemplifies how quickly the industry is moving to new materials and changing the way we think about mattresses. Founded in the early 2000s by engineer Bob RasmussenIntellibed is not a “mattress in a box” company, but instead sells mattresses that bridge the gap between traditional box springs and mattresses that use memory foam models.
Intellibed Mattress Design: What are Intellibed mattresses made of?
Intellibed prides itself on its gel matrix, which is made with food-grade mineral oil. According to Intellibed, this is beneficial for side, back and stomach sleepers as it provides support that relieves pressure points in any position. This material is also used to make other products, such as baby pacifiers, so the material does not emit gases and does not contain any harmful chemicals.
The beds are constructed of their signature gel matrix in varying thicknesses, followed by various combinations of foam, connected springs, and pocket springs.
Connected springs are more traditional metal springs that are connected in a grid. This is (and has been) the most common method of adding support to mattresses. The disadvantage of connected springs is their tendency to transfer motion. Pocket springs are independent of each other, but are stacked together. This allows them to act independently and keep motion transfer at bay. Its luxury models, like midnightcan be built with up to five different coil mounts.
How much do Intellibed mattresses cost?
Prices for the Intellibed mattress ranges are based on model and size. Intellibed has three different lines, each with three or four models that are available in sizes from Twin to Split California king.
Here is pricing information for The Original Intellibed Mattress Models:
|Smart mattress size||Price (MSRP)|
*Prices as of 04/29/2020
Intellibed offers 11 different mattress models
The Intellibed has three different collections, with a few variations each.
the legacy collection offers its least expensive beds, which start at $2,699 for a Twin.
- the azure – As its entry-level mattress model, the Azure uses 2.5 inches of gel matrix, two layers of foam, and a base of connected innerspring. This is a good overall deal if you are primarily interested in Intellibed gel material.
- the sapphire – Similar to the Azure, the main difference from the Sapphire is the addition of the pocketed coils. This reduces motion transfer and is a better choice for pairs with a partner who goes around and around.
- indigo – Sporting a 100% 5-star review on the Intellibed website, the Indigo uses the addition of a layer of natural latex for body-hugging comfort and a cloud-like feel. Additionally, a 3-zone pocketed coil system provides varying degrees of pressure point support, making it ideal for back and side sleepers with back problems.
Collection of signatures
the Collection of signatures it’s the line on which Intellibed built its company, and the four models within this collection offer ever-increasing quality and complexity of materials. Mattresses in this line start at $4,799 for a Twin.
- Matrix – With a 1.25-inch layer of gel matrix and two layers of foam, this bed has a firmer base than the rest of the mattresses in the line, yet still maintains the soft, conformable feel it’s known for Intellibed. This is also the first mattress model to use Caliber™ Edge pocketed coils, which provide a perimeter of coils to reduce the “droopy” feel of their lower-end models.
- The luxury array – Very similar to the standard Matrix, the Deluxe features a “phase change” cooling material that disperses body heat, making it an attractive option for hot sleepers.
- the ultimate matrix – This bed combines the materials and technologies of the previous two models plus a 2.5-inch gel matrix layer and a polymer layer that uses titanium flakes to relieve pressure and disperse more heat.
- the great matrix – The latest model in Intellibed’s most popular collection, Matrix Grand, uses two layers of the gel matrix material to provide multi-dimensional, bi-directional support for a heightened sense of support for back and side sleepers.
To offer a more traditional and exclusive mattress shopping experience, Intellibed launched its limited collection. Available only through Mattress Firm, these beds allow customers to lie down on them, talk to a salesperson and have access to a more luxurious line of Intellibed mattresses compared to their original models. This selection also uses the improved Samson Coil System™, which uses larger gauge pocketed coils to provide more support and longevity in the mattress. Mattresses in this line start at $7,999 for a Twin XL.
- the light of the stars – Made with luxurious quilted padding and Samson’s zoned coils, the Starlight offers many of the same benefits and construction as Intellibed’s other mattresses. With a single layer of 1.25-inch gel matrix and a layer of foam support, this bed will feel firmer.
- The Twilight – Constructed in the same way as Starlight, Twilight Intellibed increases the thickness of the gel matrix to 2.5 inches, which softens the feel of the mattress and adds more support. For those who have lower back tension issues, this is an important step in support and comfort.
- the evening – In addition to the 2.5-inches of gel matrix, Nightfall features a three-zone coil system for firm, multidimensional support. This is a good option for side sleepers who struggle to find relief in their shoulders and hips during sleep.
- The midnight – There are no restrictions for this model. Two layers of gel matrix, gel-infused latex, and five zones of coils make this the most expensive and luxurious bed in Intellibed’s lineup, with the queen starting at $8,999. This bed is designed to provide the ultimate “firm and soft” feel, with cool support that conforms to the body and a multi-layer system to relieve pressure points. This model also features the Quantum® Edge Elite Coil Support System, which uses the five different coil densities to provide perimeter support that prevents the “offset” feeling you get when standing near the edge of the bed.
How comfortable is the Intellibed?
Intellibed believes that their beds have a “firm and soft” feel, so much so that marked that same phrase. The company claims to achieve this by combining its supportive gel with luxurious liners and layers of polymer foam. In other words, you experience the sensation of softness before your body is supported by the gel, foam, and coils.
While they state that all of their beds have this feel, the reviews and descriptions of the material’s list show that the taller the model, the more support you can expect, regardless of whether you sleep on your side, back, or stomach.
Other products sold by Intellibed
Intellibed sells other products to complete your sleep system, and the quality matches the intricacy and care that goes into their mattresses.
- Adjustable Bases – Available in all sizes to match Intellibed mattresses, its three adjustable base models allow you to set a preferred position for watching TV, reading a book or sleeping. Although the first model is a basic bed frame with a remote control, the advanced models use Bluetooth to connect to your phone and can even help you get up in the morning.
- Pillows: Intellibed makes three different pillows, ranging from a simple latex model to its $239 Z CarbonCool + OmniPhase. This pillow uses phase change material (PCM) to disperse heat and regulate temperature while you sleep.
- Bamboo leaves – In addition to the traditional cotton sheets, Intellibed offers bamboo sheets that allow great breathability and have antimicrobial properties. This is due to the porous nature of bamboo fabric, which maintains softness while allowing air to pass through.
Smart Mattress Reviews
Smart homeowners are loyal and mattresses average 4.5 stars on their own site. It’s hard to pinpoint how independent reviews rate these beds, as they don’t sell enough products on Amazon to have a significant number of reviews, and companies like JD Power and Associates do not include them in your main report of companies with high customer satisfaction.
With that in mind, Intellibed Beds sits between direct-to-consumer boxed mattress companies and strictly retail mattress companies, making it easier to trust the company’s website. Reviews generally praise the support for all types of sleepers, and the coolness and breathability of the upper fabric are mentioned repeatedly.
Advantages and disadvantages of the smart mattress
How much does an Intellibed cost?
Intellibed mattresses vary by size and model. Intellibed Legacy Collection mattresses start at $2,699 for a Twin.
How can I learn more about the Gel Matrix material in Intellibed mattresses?
Intellibed has compiled a complete list of nine videos explaining the material and how it helps you sleep better.
Do you need a special base for Intellibed mattresses?
No, Intellibed mattresses are generally heavier than other traditional mattresses, but any sturdy bed frame, box spring, or slat system will support an Intellibed mattress.