Would you like your home to look like it came on the set of “Mad Men”? You are not alone in wanting to channel your inner Betty or Don Draper. The sleek and unpretentious style of mid-century modern decor draws many fans. But what is mid-century modernity? Mid-century modern (MCM) is a well-known American movement that affected all aspects of the design world. With a focus on form and function, minimal embellishments and embellishments, sleek lines, and a combination of contrasting materials, mid-century modern style has left an indelible mark on American design history.
According to Architectural overview, “The movement really took hold after WWII, thanks to new technologies and materials, and a newfound prosperity, spanning from roughly 1933 to 1965.” Fast forward to today, and you’ll find countless mid-century modern furniture showcases offering everything from brand-new MCMs at a variety of prices to authentically vintage pieces.
Use the following lists as a starting point to discover your ideal mid-century modern look. Eager to snag wallet-friendly MCM parts? Check out our list of nine places to shop on a budget. If your budget is higher and you want to create a mid-century collection, check out our list of luxury places to splurge.
Affordable Mid-Century Modern Design:
If you dream of creating a mid-century modern apartment or home, you may be in for a bit of a shock. But the good news is, not all mid-century modern décor has to drain your bank account. With a little creativity, DIY skills, and detective work, it’s totally possible to design a stunning yet affordable mid-century space on a budget. Ready to go shopping? Explore these nine locations for mid-century modern decor.
- Amazon: Amazon is truly a one-stop shop, even for mid century modern decor. With low, competitive prices and fast shipping, you’ll be decorating your mid-century modern space in no time.
- Cramming: Overstock offers a wide range of affordable mid-century modern designs. Go to the Overstock website and set your price range in product search to find things like mid-century modern chairs for less than $ 200.
- Thrift shopping: Do you love the thrill of finding hidden treasures (and saving a ton of cash) at your local thrift store? You’d be surprised at how much mid-century modern furniture is donated. Make sure to stop by frequently as inventory is continually changing.
- Ikea: From Ikea Accessible and affordable designs lean heavily towards a mid-century modern feel. Keep in mind that most of your furniture needs to be self-assembled, so be prepared to develop your handyman skills.
- Urban Outfitters: Urban Outfitters is known as a lifestyle retailer. In addition to clothing, this elegant store offers home décor that “makes a statement.” As you design your space, remember that accessories make all the difference. Hook up some MCM accessories like a statement wall hook, fun and funky geometric wallpaper, and something unique artwork.
- Objective: The highly anticipated mid-century modern collection, Project 62, has Target shoppers flocking to buy from this budget-conscious brand. While most know Target for its clothing and home goods, smart shoppers choose Target for its minimalist style. mid century modern decor.
- Craigslist: Homes that are listed for sale often need to be cleaned of outdated furniture. You can find the mid-century modern piece of your dreams on the list Craigslist At a fraction of the cost. Don’t be afraid to haggle, as the seller may drop in price.
- Etsy: Not ready or unable to invest thousands of dollars in mid-century modern furniture? Adorn your walls with some MCM touches like mural Helps set the tone without breaking the bank.
- World Market: World Market offers an ever-changing selection of “high quality original items at low prices every day”. Spend less and get more with hairpin chairs, a sharp leg desk with gold tip, and a accent table all for less than $ 200 each.
Mid-century luxury modern decor:
You’ll find that both authentic mid-century modern furniture and high-quality reproductions cost significantly more than their affordable counterparts. This is due to the investment not only in the furniture, but in the designer of the piece and the materials used within the design. For original and craft-inspired vintage pieces, the companies listed below offer high-quality mid-century modern décor that will become historic heirloom pieces in your home.
- Design within reach: The concept of Design within reach It is brilliant. By offering “the world’s largest selection of authentic modern furniture, lighting and accessories from designers of the past and present,” all on one website, you can locate a Milo Baughman recliner chair, Eames SofaY Matthew Hilton dining table all under one roof.
- Herman Miller: Herman Miller has been said to help launch American Modernism. The Herman Miller Store continues to work with legendary designers, including Eames, to produce furniture that is not only functional but also a work of art in its own right.
- Anthropology: As you design the mid-century modern apartment of your dreams, Anthropologie is a destination small space furniture with unique and unexpected characteristics. his custom sofas Y coffee tables it will create your MCM inspired look without cluttering up your living space.
- 2Modern: Bringing “curated design to a wide range of demanding consumers” is the focus of 2Modern. Look for high-quality mid-century modern pieces with exceptional craftsmanship by designer, brand, or room. 2Modern mid-century style statement lighting will transform any room.
- Perigold: Carefully caring for the mid-century luxury modern decoration from all over the world, Perigold offers beautifully crafted pieces by renowned designers.
- Danish design shop: Offering mid-century modern pieces up close 20 designers, the Danish Design Store takes your home or office décor in mid-century modern style to the next level.
- CB2: CB2 is a fantastic place to shop if you (or your wallet) aren’t ready to go for “total luxury,” as CB2 is on the affordable end of MCM’s luxury furniture spectrum. CB2 furniture and decoration they are “elegant, elegant, functional and comfortable”. Of meticulously crafted bar cabinets Y chairs to credenzasCB2 (part of Crate and Barrel) helps you design the ultimate mid-century modern space.
The bottom line
The mid-century modern decor style is a cornerstone in the design industry and is certainly here to stay. Look for vintage MCM furniture at specialty stores, thrift stores, and yard sales. However, if your search for authentic mid-century modern pieces falls short, or you simply prefer to shop for new furniture with an MCM flair, numerous retailers (including the ones on our list) offer mid-century modern pieces in a wide range of prices. points. Whether you’re adding just a few mid-century modern touches to your home or going all out with a complete MCM vibe, you can find the perfect pieces for your space by following our essential shopping tips.