The Broad-Shouldered City is constantly changing: Since Chicago’s entire grid system grew out of the rebuilding of the city after the Great Chicago Fire, the people of Chicago are a people accustomed to rebuilding. Perhaps that explains why the Chicago skyline is seemingly ever-changing – landmarks like the Sears Tower (as locals call it the Willis Tower) and the Hancock Building remain permanent mainstays, but new structures proliferate every day. .
This constant rebuilding is great news for renters looking for a luxury experience in the city. From waits in classic neighborhoods to high-rise buildings in the trendiest areas of the city, there are plenty of options for every type of lifestyle – and more are always on the way. .
What to Look for in a Chicago Luxury Apartment
Luxury is in the eye of the beholder: different tenants, understandably, have different stipulations about what constitutes a luxury apartment. While features, aesthetics, and design vary widely from building to building, there are a few must-haves we recommend looking out for when looking for a luxury Chicago apartment.
- Security: Security devices can take many forms – and security is a luxury! From the presence of a doorman to the location of the building, multiple factors combine to make a building safe for its residents. Luckily, almost every luxury apartment in Chicago have both a 24-hour doorman and controlled entry, ensuring the highest level of security for residents.
- Approvals: New buildings are increasingly outfitted with hotel-like amenities meant to wow residents. While all amenities are a great way to get value out of your lease, we recommend checking out a building’s amenities to see which ones you would consistently use. The Lydian in Chicago’s Medical District, for example, has electric vehicle charging stations and a dog spa — which are amazing amenities if you fall into the groups that will be using them.
- Design: One of the perks of living in Chicago is access to stunning architecture. For this reason, when it comes to luxury apartments in and around the city, design is increasingly seen as an asset to tenants. When you begin your home search, consider the interior and exterior design of the building you want to live in. The Fullbrix apartments, for example, in Fulton Market, will feature exposed concrete, wooden floors and large windows overlooking the city. These features all combine to create an enhanced luxury living experience.
Whatever your definition of luxury, the first consideration in your home search is location. As a city of neighborhoods, Chicago offers many neighborhoods. From the glamorous River North to the trendy Fulton Market, every pocket of the city has its own unique lifestyle, culture and perks. Chicago’s surrounding cities also offer a great balance of city and community living.
If your commute is an important consideration where you live, look no further than the centrally located Loop.
Close to most Chicago-based offices and next to cultural institutions like the art institute And Symphonythe Loop offers incredible living options like Millie on Michigan, a new construction that offers incredible in-unit features and luxury amenities such as an outdoor pool and private party room.
If Carrie Bradshaw lived in Chicago, she would love River North. Known as a hotspot for skyline views, lake access, and hit restaurants, River North is a great option for renters looking for a true urban experience.
AMLI 808 is a prime example of what luxury living in River North looks like: decked out in modern, eco-friendly amenities like a co-working space, bike storage and an outdoor swimming pool, it’s an excellent oasis of city life.
Widely considered Chicago’s hippest neighborhood, Fulton Market is known for its incredible restaurants, year-round events, and location close to everything.
Plus, most of the luxury apartments in this area are brand new: 166 N. Aberdeen, for example, is due for completion this year and will include extensive outdoor space as well as an exercise room and coworking space. Best of all, the building is steps from the Morgan CTA stop – making a trip to the Loop just minutes away.
As a North Side neighborhood, Lincoln Park is less dense than its near Loop counterparts. Nestled next to the lake with plenty of green space, Lincoln Park is known for its cozy atmosphere and tree-lined streets. Above the neighborhood sits Norweta, a boutique apartment building with resort-style amenities including a pool, coworking space, fitness center, and more.
If more space and access to natural areas are high on your list, the suburbs could be a fantastic option for you.
With a wide range of options, Chicago’s surrounding towns offer a combination of luxury apartment living and the community vibe the suburb is known for. Highpoint at 8000 North in Skokie, for example, is right next to public transit that provides easy access to the city while offering luxury amenities like an expansive rooftop terrace and resident lounge.
How to Find a Luxury Apartment in Chicago
Finding a luxury apartment in Chicago can seem daunting: with so many options and neighborhoods to choose from, it’s hard to know where to start. When you’re ready to start your search, we recommend:
- Alignment on a budget. Whether you live alone or with a roommate, your budget is the first consideration in your search, as it will guide the buildings and area you are looking at. Determining a budget looks different for each person, but one method is the 50/30/20 methodwhich recommends that 50% of your income each month be spent on needs such as rent.
- Determining your location. Once you know your budget, think about which area or areas of town interest you the most. Is proximity to the lake or river important? Is the journey your priority? Regardless of your location priorities, this variable will help narrow down your search significantly. So it’s best to determine your localization needs early on in your search.
- Consider your non-negotiables. Since luxury is different for everyone, different amenities will take precedence over others. If you lead an active lifestyle, a gym in your building might make more sense than a hybrid worker yearning for a coworking space. Making a list of non-negotiable, nice-to-have amenities will allow you to look more carefully at each potential apartment.
- Contact luxury life! Our friendly and knowledgeable agents would love to work within your budget, location preferences and desires to find your dream apartment that fits your lifestyle.
Whether you’re in the middle of your apartment search or just getting started, our team of experienced professionals is here to help answer all of your questions about the Chicago apartment search process.
To discover more apartments in Chicago, follow the link below!